Jun. 14, 2020
Lead Like A Shepherd
1 Samuel 16:1, 6-13 & John 13:1, 3–9, 12–15
- a.Perhaps the greatest indicator of our maturity is how we handle ____________, ____________, and ____________.
- b.Few things are as ____________ as a leader, parent, boss, or politician who leverages their influence for ____________ benefit to the ____________ of those for whom they are responsible.
- c.Few things are as ____________ as a leader who says ________ to himself or herself in order to say ________ to those for whom they are responsible.
- d.Fact: We don’t really know which lever we will reach for until someone hands us the keys, the title, or the ____________.
- When David was a boy, the prophet Samuel showed up at his home in Bethlehem.
- He had a secret mission…to choose the next king.
- His entire family was invited to a sacrifice.
- Israel already had a king ~ King Saul.
- Jesse (David’s father) didn’t invite David to the anointing party…he assumed it would never be David.
- 3.Lead Like A Shepherd…
- a.What is amazing is David’s ____________to King Saul!
- b.David refused to __________ what God had put in __________.
- c.David wanted God’s _______, God’s _______, in God’s _______.
- d.David waited ____________ years for God to give him what he had been promised as a boy. During this time, David learned…
- ÞLeadership is a ____________.
- ÞKings are ____________.
- ÞDavid realized, “I’m a king, not The King.” He was never confused about the identity of Israel’s true ____________.
- a.While David’s story is inspiring, it’s not enough for us to be ____________. For followers of Jesus, this kind of greatness is ____________.
- Þ_________ sets the example 1,000 years later in a town 20 miles north of Bethlehem ~ Jerusalem. (John 13:1-15)
- b.Perhaps the greatest indicator of our ____________ is how we handle authority, power, and influence.
- c.How do we respond when we realize that we are the most powerful people in the room, classroom, locker room, boardroom or organization?
- d.Will we leverage our influence, power and authority for ourselves or for the sake of those we are called to lead?
- e.Many of us have already been handed the ____________…
- f.We must embrace the greatness David ____________ and Jesus ____________.
“For even the Son of Man did not come to be served, but to serve, and to give his life as a ransom for many.”